What to expect?!
Once you’ve chosen your planner, you are going to meet to discuss all options and ask all the question you want and need the answers to for the Planners to start their work. Here, we’ve listed most common questions for you to have in front of you and yes, we have divided them in the sections as the meeting may get lengthy, since some topics of discussion need to be a lot more detailed than others.
Working with the Venue
- Have you ever worked at the venue we’ve chosen?
- If our event is outdoors, what contingency plan would you have for bad weather? (Describe an event where you had weather issues and how you resolved them.)
Hiring Other Vendors
- Are we required to book only the vendors you recommend or do we have the freedom to hire someone even if you haven’t worked with them before?
- Do you take a commission or discount from any of the vendors you would refer us to?
- Will you be present at all of the vendor meetings and will you assist us in reviewing all of the vendor contracts and making sure everything is in order?
- Will you invoice us for all the vendor fees or will we need to pay each one of them ourselves?
- For the vendors who will be on site the day of our wedding, can I provide you with checks for final payment that you will distribute to them?
- If issues arise with the vendors before, during or after our wedding, will you handle them or are we responsible for this?
Scope of Work
- What kind planning do you offer? Logistical only (i.e. organizational—handling things like the timeline and floor plan) or Design and Logistical (i.e. bringing a client’s vision to life as well as taking care of all the organizational aspects of the wedding)?
- If you just do logistical planning, can you refer us to a vendor who can assist us with event design? (NOTE: Floral designers often do full event design, as do vendors who specialize in design.)
- Will you handle every aspect of the planning or can we do some things on our own? In other words, what parts of the planning will we be responsible for?
- Will you be the person on site the day of our wedding or will it be another planner? How many assistants will you have?
- In case of an emergency that prevents you from being at our wedding, who will be the backup planner? What are their qualifications?
- What time will you arrive and depart on the day of our wedding?
- Will you stay on site after our wedding to make sure everything has been broken down and all vendors have left the location?
- Will you provide us with a timeline of the wedding and a floor plan of the wedding venue?
- Do you offer different package options or is everything customized based on what we’re looking for?
- How many meetings and phone calls are included in our package?
- Is the wedding day rehearsal included in your services?
- Do any of your packages include planning the rehearsal dinner and/or post-wedding brunch? If not, would you provide that service and what would be the extra cost to include it in our contract?
- Do any of your packages include honeymoon planning? If not, would you provide that service and what would be the extra cost to include it in our contract?
- Do any of your packages include assistance with finding my wedding dress and wedding party attire? If not, would you provide that service and what would be the extra cost to include it in our contract?
Getting Down to Business
- Once we book with you, how quickly can we expect to receive the contract?
- After we give you our budget, will you provide us with a breakdown of how the money is going to be allocated?
- As changes are made to our plans, will you update us with a revised estimate and updated contract?
- How do you charge for your services? Hourly, percentage of the wedding cost, or flat rate?
- Can you provide a detailed list of all the items included in your fee?
- What is your payment policy? Do you accept credit cards?
- How much of a deposit is required to book your services? When is the final payment due?
- Are there any fees that won’t be included in your proposal that we should be aware of?
- What is your refund or cancellation policy?
- Can you provide a list of references? NOTE: Any experienced coordinator should be able to give you plenty of references.
- Can you provide us with a portfolio and/or video of weddings you have done?